Upbit Reports 5.9 Billion Won Loss in Recent Hack, Completes Full User Reimbursements

Upbit Reimburses Users After 5.9 Billion Won Hack Loss

South Korea’s largest cryptocurrency exchange, Upbit, has confirmed a 5.9 billion won ($4 million) corporate loss in a hack on Thursday, but said all affected user assets have been fully reimbursed.

Upbit’s parent company, Dunamu, reported that the exchange covered the full 38.6 billion won in user losses from its own reserves. An additional 2.3 billion won was frozen through blockchain tracking measures, the company said in a statement.

The exchange immediately suspended deposits and withdrawals after detecting unusual outflows, later confirming the security breach. Authorities are investigating the incident, with North Korea-linked Lazarus group named as potential suspects.

  • Related Posts

    SEC Slows Tokenization Plan Again as Officials Question ‘Innovation Exemption’

    The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission is expected to postpone its proposed “innovation exemption” for tokenized securities once again, as concerns from the White House and Wall Street reportedly complicate…

    Continue reading
    SEC Puts Reg Crypto Proposal on Hold, No New Meeting Date Announced

    The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission has delayed its long-awaited “Regulation Crypto” initiative after abruptly canceling a meeting that had been scheduled for Friday. The SEC was expected to unveil…

    Continue reading